Thank you for volunteering to start a race and record competitor finish times.
You can choose to start a race from the race hut or from your car. If you use your car please park so that you are looking along the start line. Or you can ask someone else to start the race from the race hut and just record the start and finish times.
If you use the race hut please
- sanitise your hands
- before & after – wipe down the hard surfaces, worktop & starter horn with disposable disinfected wipes of disinfectant spray and paper towels and put them in the black bag provided
You will need a pen & paper. If you are happy to do so you can get a race sheet from the race hut. Or you could download a race sheet before you come.
If you are not familiar with running a race you might like to download the following instructions here
Set a course. If you are not confident in setting a course then ask someone else to do it. This should include the number of laps. Make sure that everyone is told verbally.
Find out who is racing. Each competitor needs to tell you their Helm name, Crew name, Class and Sail Number. Write this down!
Agree a start time. Hopefully all boats should be on the water at least 10 mins before the published start time. However, allowances can be made if there is congestion on the slipway. So, a later start time than published can be considered.
Starting the race from the race hut
- A few seconds before the 5 min countdown. Warn competitors that the race is about to start by testing the starting horn
- 5 mins before the start. Start the countdown on the starting horn
- The starting horn automatically carries out the sequence of hoots for the race
- Record the start time
Starting the race from your car
- A few seconds before the 5 min countdown. Warn competitors that the race is about to start by sounding a series of short toots on your car horn
- 5 mins before the start – Sound one long blast on your car horn
- 4 mins before the start – Sound one long blast on your car horn
- 1 min before the start – Sound one long blast on your car horn
- Start the race – Sound one long blast on your car horn
- Record the start time
Record the finish times
It helps to tick off when each competitor has crossed the start line at the end of each lap.
As each boat goes over the finish line (the start line at the end of the last lap) write down the time against the Helm name, Crew name, Class and sail number (any format as long as it is legible!). If you make a mistake then just indicate this on the results.
Start Time: 12:01
Jane Smith, Mary Smith, Bosun, 1483 – 13:04 *about!
Mark Brown, Laser Radial, 148826 – 12:49
Send in results.
Take a photo of the record sheet and do any or all of the following
- Post on the UTLSC Members only facebook page – see bottom right of UTLSC.org.uk
- Put on UTLSC WhatsApp Group
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
It would be much appreciated if you could clean the race hut before you leave – see UTLSC Cleaning protocol